Every house you go to is bound to have a bit of clutter in it, and modern homes in cities like London are no exception. We live in a world that is all about possessions, and sometimes we simply have too many of them in our homes. Especially when we have kids. The thing is though, that clutter makes effective control of pests of all kinds harder, as it gives them plenty of nooks and crannies to hide in, while the dust and fibres that accumulate in a cluttered house give pests the nesting materials and food they need to really make themselves at home. So, if you’re looking to some tips to de-clutter, here you go!
- Be ruthless: You have to make the tough decisions to throw things away, and make sure you aren’t too soft about the process. Research shows a direct link between hoarding clutter and pests, so if you haven’t used something in a while, get rid of it, because there’s a reason it’s been just sitting there!
- Dividers for drawers and cupboards: You’d be surprised how organised your drawers become if you rely on dividers. You can get all sorts of shapes and sizes and they make your home look very tidy.
- Storage bins are your friend: Storage bins make clutter disappear and make it more organized. This is great for kid’s toys.
- Use bins for seasonal things: Christmas, summer, Halloween, keep it all in separate bins that can be moved around and changed as the season changes. This way you know where everything is.
- Try to put like things together: When it comes to your system, put like things together so you know they’re all there. If you have a lot of bins that look the same, try to keep them looking different with symbols, or letters. This will help you keep your organisation in place.
- Roll your t shirts and put them in drawers: A great way to get rid of those piles of t shirts. Easy and great for organisation and cleanliness.
- Work one room at a time: It’s an overwhelming project, so make sure you take it one room at a time.
- Do it more than once a year: The hardest part is re-doing this system regularly. If it is done regularly, there is less chance of it getting out of habits, which is always good.
These tips will give you a boost to your lifestyle in general, a step towards clutter free living, but are also great for preventing and getting rid of unwanted pests from your home, whether you live in London or anywhere else.